Easy to make, but full of flavor, banana-wrapped Salay-Salay. The yellowtail fish is moist and delicious, and it pairs well with piping-hot steamed rice. It’s also healthy and affordable! Are you looking to add more fish to your meal planning? This banana-wrapped Salay salad recipe is a must-have! This recipe is easy to make and only takes about an hour. This recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners.
First, season the fish generously with salt, tamarind powder, and salt. Next, wrap them in banana leaves with shallots and garlic before putting them in the slow cooker.
It’s so simple that you will be amazed at how delicious and moist the dish comes out. It’s delicious with heaps and heaps of steam rice, as well as your choice of dipping sauce.
My favorite fish for this recipe is yellowtail scad or salad. They are a perfect size and meaty, with a delicate flavor that is well suited to the seasonings.
You can also find them in pompano or talakitok, bulao and sapsap.
How do you serve?
This delicious fish can be served as a main course for lunch or dinner. For maximum enjoyment, remove the banana wrap from the pan and serve it with steamed rice or a dipping sauce like Toyo Mansi.
The remaining food can be stored in an airtight container that has a tight-fitting lid. Keep it refrigerated for up to three days. To retain moisture, wrap the fish in banana leaves.
Banana leaves kitchen twine
- 2 pounds (12 pieces) of salay-salay salmon, cleaned and gutted
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- 3 shallots, peeled. Finely chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled & julienned
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Drain the fish well under cold running water. Season the fish with salt, pepper and tamarind powder to taste.
- Combine shallots with ginger, garlic, oil, and salt in a bowl
- Place 2 to 3 fish pieces on each banana leaf. Top with the onion mixture.
- To enclose fish, fold leaves and tie banana packets with kitchen twine.
- Take the fish out of the banana wrap and heat it up with your favorite dipping sauce.