Sweet Mango Barbecue chicken skewers make the best grill food! They’re moist and juicy and packed with fruity and salty flavors.
Barbecues are a Filipino tradition. They are especially popular on New Year’s Eve when friends and families gather around a smoldering coal pit to await the new year. Red hotdogs on skewers – Do you remember? As a child, I remember eating one hotdog after another until my stomach hurt.
These sweet mango barbecue chicken wings are great for a holiday grill party. They’re refreshing and full of flavor with a fruity, sweet, and savory glaze.
Ingredients for marinade
You can either use a western-style BBQ sauce with a tomato-based flavor, or a Filipino-type barbecue marinade such as Mama Sita’s that has a more savory taste.
- 1 cup mango nectar-homemade, or purchased in a store
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped Thai chili peppers or red pepper flakes (siling lobuyo).
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Tips for cooking
- To prevent them from burning when grilling, soak the bamboo sticks in warm water for at least 30 min.
- You can use boneless chicken breasts if you wish, but I recommend using thigh and leg meat instead. They are more tender and take less time to cook.
- Let the meat drain well, and then pat dry to ensure that the marinade does not become too liquidy.
- To ensure even cooking, cut in uniform sizes
- Grill the meat for a few minutes on each side to avoid excessive charring. After the meat has lost its pink color, brush it with the sauce.
How do you serve?
These chicken skewers are a wonderful appetizer and a tasty part of any meal. They are great with coconut rice or tomato-avocado cucumber salad. But, really, you can serve them with anything. Serve them with atsara, Java rice or pancit bihon.
Do you love the idea of silog breakfasts in the mornings? Grilled mango chicken is just as good as silog with sinangag, and sunny side-up eggs.